A general voicemail greeting is used as the default voicemail greeting to callers. It is therefore critical that this default voicemail greeting is set up correctly and that the content of the greeting informs the caller as to how to proceed.
It is important that the voicemail greeting be brief but also action oriented. Do you want your caller to leave you a message? Or perhaps they should call another extension to reach an assistant or office manager in your absence? Get to know the business phone system that you are using and take advantage of its features. Some phone systems allow the caller to press a digit, such as 0 to transfer to another extension rather than having to end the call and dial another extension. This type of function can be extremely useful, especially if other people in the office can handle the calls that are incoming to your phone while you are away from your desk, or out of the office.
This voicemail greeting will be played for both external calls (originating from outside your company) and internal calls (people call from another extension within your company). If you expect to receive most of your calls from clients and partners, it is best to have someone to handle urgent calls by setting up the general voicemail greeting accordingly.
When creating the general voicemail greeting, make sure to always adhere to the basic elements of good voicemail greetings. .
Below are some example general voicemail greetings:
- Hello. You have reached Shahira Raineri. I cannot take your call right now, but I would like to return it as soon as I can. So please leave me a message including the best number where I can reach you and I will return the call at my earliest convenience.
- Hi. This is Shahira Raineri, subject expert for business operations and technology. I can’t answer the phone right now, but if you leave me a message with your name and phone number, I will return your call as soon as possible.
- You have reached Shahira Raineri at me. I can’t take your call at this time so please don’t hesitate to leave a message after the tone. I will return your call as soon as I am able. If you need immediate assistance, please dial extension 5438 to reach my assistant. Thank you for calling. Good bye.
- Hello and thanks for calling me. This is Shahira Raineri and I am not able to take your call at this time, but if you leave me a message and include your name and telephone number, I will get back to you as soon as I can. If you would like, you can also contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for calling.
- Hello. You have reached Shahira Raineri. I cannot answer the phone right now but I will return your call as soon as I can. If you are calling about a recent order, please call our Customer Service department at 1-800-555-1212. They are available Monday thru Friday from 8am until 5pm Eastern Time. Alternatively, you can leave me a message and I will return your call as soon as I can. Thanks for calling.
- Hello. You’ve reached the desk of Shahira Raineri, subject expert for me. Your call is important to me. I am not able to come to the phone right now so please leave me a message with your name and phone number and I will call you back as soon as I can. Otherwise, you may stay on the line and press “0” and someone will assist you momentarily. Thank you.